Friday, November 14, 2008

Deciding Not To Strike Twice

Today we see that American Lightning is all grown up. "That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend/ Your force, to breake, blowe, burn and make me new," wrote John Donne before that unfortunate incident of ending up as some ancient dude from bygone times, and I think this quite aptly sums up American Lightning's situation. He has endured many hardships, and the process has matured him.

Does this mean he no longer wants to blow up illegal immigrants? Will he start to take better care of his baby? We can only hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was about to post a comment on the previous entry about how you should take note of this new development, but I see you've beaten me to "the punch".

While we're on this subject, though, have any other Superosity characters matured in this way and to this extent? Bubba is the closest case I can think of offhand. Normally, if (when) Superosity characters develop, they move further from sanity. It seems to me that there could be some interesting analysis to be done.

As always, I defer to your expertise.

Coreyarty said...

Your observation of character development in Superosity tending towards greater heights of insanity is a good one. Even Boardy has had an increasing inclination towards make ridiculous decisions as the years have gone by. Sometimes out of apparent disillusionment, other times without any apparent reason at all. The fact that he even agreed to hand out these super powers is one example.

I can't think of anybody who has actually matured off the top of my head, but I'll think about it more intently later on. The best I can come up with right now is the time that Bobby rocked Giz to sleep, but that was a long time ago and it's not an aspect of his character that has come out very often.